Peng Liu, Ph.D, professor, born in 1981 at Zibo City, Shandong Province. My research focuses on the remediation of heavy metals and organics contaminated sites. His current research includes: 1) study of transport mechanisms of heavy metal and organic contaminants in combination with the hydrogeological conditions of the site; 2) study of transformation mechanisms (geochemical processes) of heavy metals in the contaminated site using synchrotron-related techniques; 3) development and investigation of current and novel remediation technologies for the contaminated sites. Based on the results from the research group I was in and my research at the University of Waterloo (Canada), the remediation of a mercury-contaminated site in the United States is ongoing.
Google Scholar Profile: https://scholar.google.ca/citations?user=qUtyvokAAAAJ&hl=en
2017.09 to now: School of Environmental Studies, China University of Geosciences (Wuhan)，professor
2017.05-2017.08: Department of Earth and Environmental Science, University of Waterloo， instructor for course: Geochemistry I
2016.10-2017.08: Department of Earth and Environmental Science, University of Waterloo， Post DOC, research geochemist
2010.01-2016.09: Department of Earth and Environmental Science, University of Waterloo,
2007.09-2010.07: School of Environment and Resource, 吉林大学(Jilin University), Ph.D
2005.09-2007.07: School of Environment and Resource, 吉林大学(Jilin University), Master
2001.09-2005.07: School of Environment and Resource, 吉林大学(Jilin University), Bachelor
1. 参与 水体污染控制与治理科技重大专项(2018) 课题3唐河污水库及雄安新区地下水污染防控技术研究及工程示范 子课题4 唐河污水库地下水污染阻控与修复技术
2. Characterization of Cr(VI) Removal Mechanisms by Wood-based Biochar Using Confocal Micro-X-ray Fluorescence Imaging, Redox Mapping and Extended X-ray Absorption Fine Structure (EXAFS) Analyses (Proposal Id: 55304), ), Advanced Photon Source, Argonne National Laboratory, Argonne, Illinois, United States, Sector 20-ID, 30 shifts, 2017, Spokesperson
3. Confocal X-ray Microfluorescence Imaging of Mercury-Bearing Biochar Particles from Long-term Microcosm Experiments of Hg-Contaminated Sediment Amended with Biochar (Proposal Id: 22-7019), Canadian Light Source- Argonne National Laboratory, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada, Beamline: Advanced Photon Source Sector 20-ID, 36 shifts, 2015, Spokesperson
4. Characterization of Hg Stabilization Mechanisms in Floodplain Soil and Sediment Treated with Enhanced Remediation Materials Using Micro XAF Mapping and Micro X-ray Absorption Fine Structure (μ-XAFS) Analyses (Proposal Id: 40041), Advanced Photon Source, Argonne National Laboratory, Argonne, Illinois, United States, Beamline: 13-ID-E, 12 shifts, 2014, Spokesperson
5. Characterizing S Species in Biochars Produced at Different Temperatures from Various Feedstocks, and Evolution of S Speciation during Aging (Proposal Id: 20-6076), Canadian Light Source, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada, Beamline: SXRMB, 18 shifts, 2014, Spokesperson
Recently published papers：
1. Liu P., Ptacek C. J., Blowes D. W. and Finfrock Y. Z. 2017. A beam path-based method for attenuation correction of confocal micro-X-ray fluorescence imaging data. Journal of Analytical Atomic Spectrometry, 32, 1582 - 9. DOI: 10.1039/C7JA00148G
2. Liu P., Ptacek C. J., Blowes D. W., Finfrock Y. Z. and Gordon R. A. 2017. Stabilization of mercury in sediment by using biochars under reducing conditions. Journal of Hazardous Materials, 325, 120-8. DOI: 10.1016/j.jhazmat.2016.11.033
3. Liu P., Ptacek C. J., Blowes D. W. and Landis R. C. 2016. Mechanisms of mercury removal by biochars produced from different feedstocks determined using X-ray absorption spectroscopy. Journal of Hazardous Materials, 308, 233-42. DOI: 10.1016/j.jhazmat.2016.01.007
4. Liu N., Ding F., Wang L., Liu P.*, Yu X. and Ye K. 2016. Coupling of bio-PRB and enclosed in-well aeration system for remediation of nitrobenzene and aniline in groundwater. Environmental Science and Pollution Research, 23(10), 9972-83. DOI: 10.1007/s11356-016-6206-3
5. Liu P., Ptacek C. J., Blowes D. W., Berti W. R. and Landis R. C. 2015. Aqueous leaching of organic acids and dissolved organic carbon from various biochars prepared at different temperatures. Journal of Environmental Quality, 44(2), 684-95. DOI: 10.2134/jeq2014.08.0341
6. Liu N., Li H., Ding F., Xiu Z., Liu P.* and Yu Y. 2013. Analysis of biodegradation by-products of nitrobenzene and aniline mixture by a cold-tolerant microbial consortium. Journal of Hazardous Materials, 260(0), 323-9. DOI: 10.1016/j.jhazmat.2013.05.033
Conference Oral Presentations
1. Liu, P.; Ptacek, C. J.; Blowes, D. W. Application of Switchgrass Biochar for Mercury and Methylmercury Control in Sediment under Reducing Conditions: An Xray Absorption Spectroscopy Study. The 13th International Conference on Mercury as a Global Pollutant, July 18-24, 2017, Providence, Rhode Island, US.
2. Liu, P.; Ptacek, C. J.; Blowes, D. W. Geochemical Engineering: Remediation of Brownfield Sites, Soil and Groundwater Remediation Workshop, co-hosted by Nanjing University and the DuPont Company, Nanjing, Jiangsu, China May 2017.
3. Liu, P.; Ptacek, C. J.; Blowes, D. W. Control of Hg and MeHg in water and sediment using switchgrass biochars, The First China University of Geosciences (Wuhan) Forum for Overseas Young Scholars, Wuhan, Hubei, China, March 2017
4. Liu, P.; Ptacek, C. J.; Blowes, D. W. Evaluation of mercury and methylmercury control in sediment after co-blending with biochar, Ontario Research Fund Meeting, Waterloo, ON, Canada, 2016.
5. Liu, P.; Ptacek, C. J.; Blowes, D. W. Stabilization of mercury in river water and sediment using biochars: Long-term anaerobic microcosm experiment, Ontario Research Fund Meeting, Waterloo, ON, Canada, 2015.
6. Liu, P.; Ptacek, C. J.; Blowes, D. W. Stabilization of mercury in river water and sediment using biochars: Batch experiment, Ontario Research Fund Meeting, Waterloo, ON, Canada, 2014.
1. Liu, P.; Ptacek, C. J.; Elena, K.; Blowes, D. W. Mercury stabilization in aqueous solution using a polysulfide-modified biochar: an X-ray absorption spectroscopy study, 100th Canadian Chemistry Conference, Toronto, ON, Canada, June 2017
2. Liu, P.; Ptacek, C. J.; Blowes, D. W.; Wang, A. O.; Finfrock, Y. Z. In Application of confocal x-ray micro-fluorescence imaging for environmental samples, Ontario Research Fund Meeting, Waterloo, ON, Canada, 2016.
3. Liu, P., Ptacek, C.J., Blows, D.W., Berti, W.R., Landis, R.C. 2012. Characterization of various biochars used for mercury treatment and assessment of their potential to release soluble components. Goldschmidt 2012, June 24-29, Montréal, QC, Canada.
4. Liu, P., Wang, O., Ptacek, C.J., Blowes, D.W., Berti, W.R., Landis, R.C. 2011. Use of biochar as a reactive media for treatment of mercury in river water. The 10th International Conference on Mercury as a Global Pollutant, July 24-29, Halifax, NS, Canada.
International Biochar Initiative 2012 and 2016-now
Geochemical Society 2013 and 2016-now